Sunday, March 15, 2009

This Is Their Music Mixtape #2!

With sincerest apologies to the cover design department at Atlantic, here is "This Is Their Music: Mixtape #2". This tape touches on jazz fusion, some of the most beautiful music ever created. As much fun as I had putting this tape together, it presented me with a ton of difficulties...mainly: did I want to make a tape that was an introduction to fusion? The answer I figured out was no--that would be great in a purest sort of sense, but that wasn't exciting to me. Did I want to keep just in the "jazz" realm, or did I want it to branch out--and if it did, how far did it need to go? I decided that ultimately I wasn't going to worry about representing "true" aspects because that not only make it exhausting, but it would end up being 6hrs long (which, when I started, it was!) Finally I decided to just represent the different ways that jazz fusion has been interpreted, and jazz interjected into other types of music. Or, more simply, shit I like.

This is by no means suppose to be a definitive sampler--in fact, a lot of the main contributers to the movement aren't even represented on this tape: no Miles, no Coleman, no Hancock. Wayne Shorter is though. So is Hiromi Uehara. And Chicago--yes, that Chicago before they got all sappy. There's a method to this madness, so understand when it seems to change direction, it's on purpose. I could have gone on and on and on, and probably will in the future. But the future is here. It's now. You can download the clearer mp3 version here, or listen to the embedded version below...
Have fun!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Solid interpretation..

Anonymous said...

i love your revised image..

Plex Lowery said...

thanks you guys...good looking out, seriously! M-double, whats good with you?!

Anonymous said...

very nice....now send me the list